Last Updated on December 29, 2020 by Editorial Staff
QuickBooks restore failed error generally occur during the restoring of backup in QuickBooks. There are several reasons for this error, so we should always for these reasons so that, it will not create another issue in QuickBooks. Here we have the article, where we will know what are the reasons, and solutions for this QuickBooks backup restore error.
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
You can easily, identify this error with its error message:
- “Error: Restore Failed. This is an Invalid Format of a Post QB 2007 Backup file”
- “Errors: restore failed. Can’t eliminate logfile”
- What are the Reasons & Solutions for the QuickBooks Failed Error
- Reasons Behind the “Restore Failed” Error in QuickBooks
- How to Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
- Method 1: Remove Special Character from QuickBooks Company File
- Method 2: Avoid Overwrite an Existing File During the Backup Restore Process
- Method 3: Copy the Backup to an External Device
- Method 4: Copy a Backup to a New Folder
- Method 5: Use the New QuickBooks Version During Backup Restoration Process
- Method 6: Run QuickBooks Repair Tool
What are the Reasons & Solutions for the QuickBooks Failed Error
Here we have cleared mentioned the reasons, and solutions to the QuickBooks issue.
Reasons Behind the “Restore Failed” Error in QuickBooks
When trying to restore data from QuickBooks backup files, a few customers reportedly witness an odd happening in which the restore operation fails with one of the following messages:
- The backup is being restored over a Present Organization File
- The Company File Name includes special characters
- The backup is being restored from a USB flash drive or a network drive
- The File being restored isn’t a real QuickBooks backup file.
- The backup has been made in a newer version But is being restored to an old version
- The Company File is broken or corrupted
Since the real culprit behind the “QuickBooks restore failed errors” may not be recognized right now, finding the exact solution that works might be hard at the start and may require some hit and trials. Accordingly, to cover all bases, in the next section, we have provided a list of the most feasible solution to tackle this error. To discover which solution works best for your case, execute all in the order given in the list. Proceed to the following answer if the previous one doesn’t work.
How to Fix QuickBooks Restore Failed Error
Here we have given 5 methods to fix the error, you can apply any one of them to fix the problem easily.
Method 1: Remove Special Character from QuickBooks Company File
Remove Special Characters from the Company Filename: A part of primary document saving do’s and don’ts when saving any file, avoid from the usage of special characters like /\<>!$in the file name.
Method 2: Avoid Overwrite an Existing File During the Backup Restore Process
Stop overwriting an existing Company file when appearing the restore: This is a part of the simple file saving ethics. When saving the report being restored, browse to the destination folder where you wish to save it and if the name of the record clashes with an already existing company file, select a different name.
Method 3: Copy the Backup to an External Device
If the backup is saved on a USB flash drive or a network drive, copy it to the local system first:While restoring a backup saved on external media like a USB Drive or on a network, it’s recommended to make a local copy of the backup first so that if the connection to the USB or the network is disrupted, the backup operation doesn’t terminate suddenly. This sort of mishap, while the repair is underway, can also lead to permanent information corruption in the QBB document.
Method 4: Copy a Backup to a New Folder
Ensure that the file you are trying to restore is a valid Quickbooks File: If you try to perform a restore operation on a file that’s not a valid QBB format (an invalid post QB2007 backup file) it’ll most in all likely throw the QuickBooks restore failed error.
Method 5: Use the New QuickBooks Version During Backup Restoration Process
Restore the QBB to the same version of QB which was used to create it: It is possible to restore a QBB created in an older QuickBooks version to a newer version of the application, but the vice versa if accomplished will result in an error. For that reason ensure there aren’t any model-incompatibilities when undertaking a backup restore.
Method 6: Run QuickBooks Repair Tool
Repair Quickbooks using stellar Quickbooks Repair Tools: If none of the above hints fixes the issue, your QBW or QuickBooks company file might be severely damaged. To repair it manually you may use QuickBooks built-in Rebuild and confirm utilities as follows:
- QuickBooks File menu -> Utilities -> Rebuild Data
- QuickBooks file menu -> Utilities -> verify Data
At last, we want to suggest you to be aware that you will need to study the QBWin.Log or the QuickBooks.Log Files even as performing these operations and they are probably too technical. A much easier and more efficient approach would be to rope in reliable QuickBooks File repair software. We hope, now you are able to solve the problem, and still, if you have any problem regarding this article then you can get support from QuickBooks ProAdvisor for the best response.