Last Updated on November 26, 2020 by Editorial Staff
When a QuickBooks user needs to change his/her computer for a new computer, a common and the very first question strike in his/her mind is ‘How to move QuickBooks to a new computer?’. Here in this blog, you will get the answer to your question. So let’s read this blog:
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number +1-888-461-1179.
Procedure To Move QuickBooks to a New Computer
Before starting the procedure, we think, it will be good to know some important points and some requirements to transfer the QuickBooks to a new computer.
- A single user of QuickBooks can move the QuickBooks software through the migration tool up to 3 company files.
- You need to create a complex password to allow everything which is copied to the new computer.
- You also need to create a backup of your company files.
- Keep a USB flash drive with enough space to save or store all the backup of company files. Generally, the storage size chosen by the users is 150-250 MB.
- Keep the detail of your QuickBooks product like license number, version, and etc.
- A high-speed internet connection on both computers is mandatory.
Let’s come back to procedure:
The procedure to move QuickBooks to a new computer is very easy. You need to follow the given steps in order to perform the successful migration of the QuickBooks software from one computer to another without any kind of data loss.
We have explained the different methods for the transfer of QuickBooks to a new computer. Let’s know ‘How to do it?’:
Set Up and Use the QuickBooks Migrator tool Tool
First, we have to set up and use the migrator tool on both computers.
On the Old Computer:
- Open QuickBooks, and click on the ‘File’ menu to select the ‘Utilities’ option.
- Now select the ‘Move QuickBooks to another computer’ option.
- In the next step, select the I’m ready option and create a one time password.
- Choose the USB flash drive, that you will use, by following the on-screen instructions.
- And wait for the files to be copied.
On the New Computer:
- First insert the USB flash drive.
- The migrator tool will not open automatically, due to security restrictions.
- View the files by opening the flash drive.
- Double click on the Move_QuickBooks.bat file to start the migrator
- Now enter the password you have created, and tap on the ‘Let’s Go’ option.
- Wait for some time to finish the process. (The process totally depends on the file size and internet speed of your computer.
In some cases, you may need to update your version of Windows 10, if the migrator doesn’t start after selecting the running file.
After the complete process, the migrator files will be automatically deleted from the USB flash drive, and QuickBooks files will remain on the old computer. But there is a suggestion for you that, rename the file name on the old computer to avoid using the wrong file.
Drawbacks of Transferring QuickBooks With Migrator Tool
Despite the simplified and automated process of moving QuickBooks Desktop from one computer to another using the Migrator Tool, users have to perform some steps to get started with QuickBooks on their new machine.
- The multi-user setup configuration has to be performed manually.
- Setup for payments and payroll processing is not automated, and users will have to log in manually on the new system. A similar process has to be followed if you are using Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
- All company files, other than the 3 most recently opened ones, will have to be copied manually.
- No manual backups will be moved by the Migrator Tool to the new system.
Do Some Manual Changes, Till the Tool Doesn’t Copy Info
The transferring procedure is not completed yet, you need to take a few steps to run on the new computer, till the tool does not copy some information.
- You may need to sign in to payroll and payment services.
- Log into Intuit Data Protect (IDP) and set the backup schedule.
- You can try to move any sample company file from the old computer to the new computer.
- Before transferring your company file to a new computer, create a backup file of your company file.
What the Tool will Copy, & won’t Copy
Here in the below, we have clearly clarified, what type of information will be copied in the tool, and what type of information will not be copied in the tool.
|The tool will copy||The tool will not copy|
|The details of QuickBooks Desktop||Multi-user set up|
|Last 3 company files||payroll and payment set up|
|The custom templates, related files, forms||Intuit data protect|
|Local attachments||Older company files|
|Spell checker||backup files|
|Printer setting (printEng.ini, QBPrint.qbp)|
|Scheduled & memorized reports|
|Final Statement designer (FSD clients, FSD data)|
|Cash flow projector (.cfp)|
|Business planner (.bpw)|
|Advanced Reports (for QuickBooks Enterprise)|
|Statement Writer (for QuickBooks Accountant)|
|QuickBooks letters and template|
Transfer QuickBooks to a New Computer Manually:
You can manually move QuickBooks to a new computer by creating a backup of your QuickBooks company file to avoid any kind of loss. This will save your time and you can restore this backup on the computer in which you are going to install the QuickBooks software.
Create QuickBooks Company File Backup:
- The first thing you have to do is to create a backup of your file and license information to restore the data again in the newly installed QuickBooks.
- Now go to the new computer and store the QuickBooks backup files.
- Now install the latest release of the QuickBooks software in your device with either the installation files or with a CD.
- After the installation process, Now you will be required to restore the QuickBooks backup files.
- After completing the restoration process now you can delete the QuickBooks software from the old computer.
Restore the QuickBooks Backup File on New Computer
After installing the latest release of the QuickBooks software in your device, you need to follow these steps in order to restore the backup files successfully.
- Insert the storage device in which the backup is stored and then double-click on the QuickBooks icon to open it.
- Now click on the file menu and select “Open or Restore Company”.
- After this click on the “Restore a backup copy” and then click on the next option.
- Now select the “Local Backup” option to save the file and then go to the next option.
- Now select the external device where you have stored the backup file and select the file if QuickBooks hasn’t detected it automatically.
- After this open the backup file and then provide the location in the new computer where you want to restore the backup of QuickBooks file.
- Now click on the “Save” button and then wait until the restoration process completes.
However, there are some measures you need to follow while installing the QuickBooks software into the new computer.
What to Do After Transferring QuickBooks to a New System
In order to check that after installing the QuickBooks software into a new computer it is operating perfectly, you need to follow these steps.
- After the installation process, you need to login to QuickBooks along with all the services you are using from Intuit.
- If you want to copy all the company files from your old computer then you can copy these files into an external device and then you can paste these files on the new computer.
- After this, you have to create a backup of your QuickBooks company file in the new computer too. After completing this the migration process will be completed successfully.
While transferring the QuickBooks software, make sure to note down the license agreement and product number in order to install the QuickBooks software again in your device. If you have lost QuickBooks license information then you can contact the QuickBooks assistance team to retrieve the license information. you will be required to provide the purchase proof of the QuickBooks product and you can have the license information.
Register QuickBooks, After Move It
After moving QuickBooks Desktop to a new computer, you need to register it again on the new computer. For the registration
- First, visit the ‘help’ menu, and go for the ‘Register QuickBooks’ option to start the process.
- Put the business phone number, and the ZIP code. So that, Intuit can detect the copy of QuickBooks which is already registered. And it will record the registration details for the new computer.
The End Line:
At the last, we just want to say that, we tried our best to provide solution for this situation. Hope you like it, and will be able to move QuickBooks to a new computer without facing hassles. If in case, you need any kind of help from us to perform this activity then you can connect with us and can get our ProAdvisor support.