Last Updated on September 21, 2020 by Editor Team
‘How to back up QuickBooks Desktop company file? -This is the most common query asked by the QuickBooks users. So here in this blog, we tried to shut out your problem and provided the procedures to back up QuickBooks Desktop company file. So stay connected with us and read the blog carefully.
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number +1-888-202-8743.
Steps to Back Up QuickBooks Desktop Company File
To back up the company file in QuickBooks Desktop follow the below given two steps:
Step 1: Create a Back Up of Company File
Steps for Scheduled Automatic Back Up
Instead of manually backing up your company file, let QuickBooks do it automatically.
- First, you need to go to the File menu option in QuickBooks, and then click on the option of Switch to Single-user Mode.
- After that, again go to the File menu option and hover over Back up Company.
- Then, click on the option of Create Local Backup.
- Click on the option of Local Backup In the window and then select the Next option.
- After that, click on the option of Browse in the Local Backup Only section, and then choose the location where you want to save your backup company file.
- Set the number of backups you want to keep (Optional).
Tip:- On in your calendar that no need to pencil it. In the Online and Local Backup section that you can use the options to set back up reminders.
In the Online and Local Backup section, select Complete verification. This runs a test to make sure your backup file is in good shape before you save.
- When you are ready, then click on the option of OK.
- After that, click on the option of Save it now and schedule future backups and then click on the Next option.
- Or if you don’t want to save a backup now, then you need to click on the Only schedule future backups option.
- When I close my company file checkbox then you need to click on the Save backup copy automatically option.
- Then, click on the number of times between backups.
- Click on the option of New to create a schedule.
- Fill out the data fields to create a backup schedule. You can set a specific time or day of the week.
- Click on the option of OK, after you can set your schedule.
- Then, QuickBooks will request you to enter your Windows sign-in password. And this permission gives you the QuickBooks to run the scheduled backup.
- When you are ready to create your backup and then click on the option of Finish.
The QuickBooks creates a backup and schedules your future backups at the same time. When it’s done, you get a confirmation message.
Create the Back Up of Compsny File Manually
If you prefer, you can back up your company files yourself anytime.
- In QuickBooks, go to the File menu and select Switch to Single-user Mode.
- Go to the File menu again and hover over Back up Company. Then select Create Local Backup.
- In the window, select Local Backup and then Next.
- In the Local Backup Only section, select Browse and select where you want to save your backup company file.
- Set the number of backups you want to keep. This is optional.
Tip:- No need to pencil it in on your calendar. Use the options in the Online and Local Backup section to set backup reminders.
- This runs a test to make sure your backup file is in good shape before you save.
- When you’re ready, select OK.
- Select Save it now and Next.
QuickBooks creates a single backup company file. When it’s done, you get a confirmation message.
Steps to Back-Up your Payroll Forms
QuickBooks does not back up your data automatically in your payroll forms. Biu it has to a few ways to save them. Into the hard disk of your system that you can print copies and save them. And when that time you can use QuickBooks Enhanced Payroll, that you can save them as PDFs.
To edit payroll tax forms you have to start, that if you need your accountant and in the send the folder that contains all of your saved payroll forms.
- First, you need to open the Windows Start menu.
- You can search for and open File Explorer.
- Browse your computer for this folder: [your company name] Tax Forms. This folder has all of your payroll data.
- You can save the entire folder of your company and then send it to your accountant. You will also need to send them your backup company file.
- In the same folder as your company file that your accountant needs to put the Tax Forms folder after they restore it.
- When they are done reviewing, ask them to copy and send the Tax Forms folder back to you.
- At last, to open up the updated forms that you can follow the same steps on your computer.
Step 2: Adjust The Backup Settings
When if you want to see when you last backed up your company file? Then you need to Go to the File menu option and then hover over Back up Company. You will see the time and date at the top of the menu.
And if you want to change your backup preferences, then follow these given steps:-
- First, you need to click on the File option and hover over Back up Company.
- Then, click on the option of Create Local Backup.
- Click on Options.
- After that, what you want to change then make your changes and click on the OK option.
Steps 3: Restore the Backup
Now you have a backup company file you can use to restore your company file. Then you have to do this file has a .qbb extension at the end of the file name.
Important:- If you keep your backup company files on an external device or a hosting service like Box, that time to your local hard drive first that you will need to move them before you restore.
We hope this information helps you to understand how to back-up up your QuickBooks Desktop company file, but sometimes you can face several issues while using or in the backup process. If you are not able to understand any point in this article or you are having some issues while performing the process then you can get ProAdvisor support through the +1-888-202-8743 .