Already decided to switch from QuickBooks for Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac? If yes, then don’t start over the process from the beginning, just convert QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows & Windows to Mac (vice-versa). This article will cover the procedures to convert the file to the right system. Read the complete article to switch the QuickBooks to a new operating system.
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number +1-844-405-0904.
This is a good decision to convert the file from Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac instead of starting over from the beginning. But before starting the process you must keep some points in your mind all the time. These points will help you not to face any confusion during the converting procedure.
How to Convert a QuickBooks for Mac file to QuickBooks for Windows
Follow the steps to convert the QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows:
Step 1: Update the QuickBooks
First of all, update the QuickBooks for Windows to the latest version. There are 2 ways to update the QuickBooks Desktop Mac version; update from the product page, and update the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac in a manual way. You can follow any one of the procedures to update the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Step 2: Prepare the File for Converting
Now prepare the file to convert it, by following the below procedure;
- First copy the company file to the desktop.
- Now you need to check for any special characters in the file’s name and the company name also. If you find any special characters, rename the file by removing the special characters.
- Open the File in QuickBooks.
- After that delete all the memorized transactions and the reports also.
- Now rebuild the company file by selecting the file option after the utilities and rebuild data.
- The user needs to run the custom transaction detail report and change the date range to all and enable the Memo column.
- Select Reports>Custom Transaction Detail Report
- Select All from the drop down menu.
- Also Choose Memo from the columns drop down menu.
- Click on OK to run the report.
- Check the file for any memos with the names which are longer than 50 characters or the ones containing any special characters.
- If you find any such names then you need to edit the transactions and remove the memos also.
Step 3: Convert the Company File from Mac to Windows
After preparing the QuickBooks File now you can convert the file to Windows. For this follow the below steps :
- Open the company file in the QuickBooks for Mac.
- After that Choose file > Backup to QuickBooks for Windows.
- Now you need to enter the filename and save it in your desired location.
- Allow the backup process to run.
- Now migrate the file to the Windows Computer
- Open the QuickBooks for Windows.
- Now go to File and click on Open or restore Company.
- Select the Restore a backup copy in the open or restore company Window after clicking the Next.
- You need to select the Local Backup and click on the Next.
- Now the next step is to search and select the .QBB file that came from the Mac user and click on Open.
- In the End you are required to type yes and then click on OK when prompted to convert the file.
Other Recommended Articles:Repair Reconciliation Discrepancies in QuickBooks (In The Best Way)
How to Set Up Prior Payroll in QuickBooks Online
Fix QuickBooks Error 176109 (Invalid POS Product Number Issue)
How to Convert a QuickBooks for Windows File to QuickBooks for Mac
After converting the QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows you can now convert the same file from Windows to Mac. To do so follow the steps listed below:
Step 1: Update QuickBooks
First of all, update the QuickBooks on Mac to the latest version.
Step 2: Prepare the File to Convert It & Restore, Restore the MAC.qbb Backup
- Open the Company File in the QuickBooks for Windows.
- After that select the file and then Utilities.
- Select the Copy Company File for QuickBooks for Mac after the above steps.
- Save the file to move further.
- Now migrate the file to the Mac System.
- After migrating the file Open the QuickBooks for Mac.
- Select File and then restore and then select From a disk.
- Now after that you need to Select the File.
- Click on open.
- When you need to restore a QuickBooks for windows file and click OK.
- Type the name for your file.
- In the end Click on Save.
The Supported, & Unsupported Files on QuickBooks for Mac
|Converted Files||The Files Can’t Convert||UnSupported Filters||UnSupported Reports|
|1099 categories||Fixed asset item list||Name Email||Profit & Loss Unclassified|
|Account list (chart of accounts)||User-added columns to lists||Paid Thru||Open Purchase Orders by Job|
|Admin Password||Workers comp list||Sales Tax Code||Sales Tax Revenue Summary|
|All list Reports||Budgets created without an associated account||Template||Pending Builds|
|Audit trail, Budgets||Customized price levels||Online Status||Income Tax Preparation|
|Classes||Memorized reports||Printed Status||Profit & Loss Budget Performance|
|Contacts Data||User passwords||Voided||Fixed Asset Listing|
|Custom (field definitions, list, message list, type list)||Multiuser data, such as usernames||Workers Comp Code||All payroll and workers comp reports|
|Employee list||Online banking aliases||Is Adjustment||Forecast vs. Actual|
|History of QuickBooks versions used with the data file||Forecast Overview|
|Income and expense tracking by class||Adjusting Journal Entries|
|Item list||Adjusted Trial Balance|
|Job costing data, types list||Open Sales Orders by Item|
|Vehicle (list, type list)||Open Sales Orders by Customers|
|Transaction statistics, & links (Bills, Deposits, Invoices, Payments, Transfers)||Closing Date Exception|
|To-do list||Voided/Deleted Transactions History|
|Time and activity records||Voided/Deleted Transactions|
|Via list (Shipping)|
|Multiple estimates per job|
|Payment method list, terms list|
|Links between pay items and other items|
|Notes, Other names list (without notes)|
Sometimes we need to send files accountant, who has Windows and he/she send it back to you. This process is called round-tripping. Step forward to get detail about this;
What is Round Tripping in QuickBooks?
The process of converting the QuickBooks file is known as Round Tripping. Round Tripping is a process by which the user can send a QuickBooks Mac file to an accountant with QuickBooks for Windows. It is really helpful to the accountant because after this it can make alterations to the Mac Client’s file.
Note: Each Program uses a different type of database that means the accountant’s copy is not available in QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
For Example :
- Your accountant uses Windows.
- Convert your Mac file to Windows.
- You send them your company file so they can make changes.
- Can convert your file back to Mac.
Some Important Points About Round Tripping
Here are the important points. Please have a look;
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions cannot produce a QuickBooks Desktop for Mac backup because the round tripping cannot be used in QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions.
- If the accountant has the file there is no need to enter into the Macintosh file.
- Users need to remember that you can change the password while converting a .qbb file which is created using the QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. If the user changes the password in order to meet the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows requirement then the new password will be used to convert the file back to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
- The user will need an admin password to complete the roundtrip process.
- Now it is suggested to not process payroll in QuickBooks for Windows Version of the file as the QuickBooks for Mac does not have an internal payroll.
- The subscription data, payroll settings and the payroll data will be lost at the time of converting back to the QuickBooks for Mac.
Errors you May Face While Converting the File
There are some errors you may face while converting the QuickBooks file.
Error in Mac
When you are unable to open the file in Mac after updating QuickBooks for Mac, There might be a chance for the error to occur. You will see a message which says:
Cannot Import the Roundtrip file. This was originally created with another version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. Please import it into the version with which it was created.”
The solution for the error is :
- Download and install again the previous version of QuickBooks.
- Restore the backup of the company file from Windows.
- After that convert the restored file to the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Error in Windows
In windows you may face the below error:
- Error -14113, 0
- Error C = 116
To solve this error follow the steps listed below :
- Open the Company file in QuickBooks for Mac
- Follow the procedure to resort the lists
- After the above steps you need to run the rebuild data utility procedure.
- After all this try to convert the file again.
We hope you have read the article thoroughly and you have had success in converting the QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows and Vice versa. You may face errors while converting the file but we have the solution for those errors too in the above article. If you are still unable to convert the file then you can contact the experts.