- October 10, 2019
- Posted by: Pragati Dixit
- Category: Uncategorized
6000 series of errors are quite common in QuickBooks Desktop and mostly appear while opening the company file. QuickBooks Error 6000 80 can affect QuickBooks in both multi-user and single-user modes, and you may get confused troubleshooting the fault as most of them arise because of a few common reasons. Error 6000 80 can adversely affect QB data if immediate actions are not taken. If you are not proficient in Windows troubleshooting, then you can also get in touch with one of our Certified QB Desktop Experts for help.
QuickBooks Error 6000 80 Description
Like QuickBooks Error 6000 80, most of the 6000 series errors are related to the company file and arises when you try to open the company file in QuickBooks. The error message that pops up on Windows displays “Error -6000, -80: An error occurred when QuickBooks tried to access the company file” once you encounter the error. Users are suggested to contact the support team for a resolution, however, if you are familiar with general Windows troubleshooting, then you can easily follow the resolution given in this article without the need of contacting the support but make sure to follow every troubleshooting step very cautiously in the given sequence.
Reasons that Cause QuickBooks Desktop Error 6000 80
The most common reason that causes QuickBooks to display error 6000 80 is the communication error between the host and the client’s computer that creates trouble for the user to open the company file. some other reasons responsible for triggering QuickBooks error 6000 80 are listed below:
- You must always convert or restore the QuickBooks data on your local storage, as performing this task over the network can cause QuickBooks Desktop error 6000 80.
- The same company file is being hosted by more than one server is also an error triggering reason.
- Due to an incorrect network set up, the client’s workstation is unable to create a connection with the server that is hosting the company file.
- The company file that you are trying to open is either damaged or corrupt.
- Windows Firewall or third-party security applications are blocking QuickBooks access to the company file in the network.
SOLUTION TO RESOLVE QB COMPANY FILE ERROR 6000 80
Step 1: Repair the Damage in Company File using QuickBooks File Doctor
- Follow the link and download QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Run QuickBooks File Doctor from the downloads & choose the option to repair the data damage.
- In case if you get any error while fixing the data damage, then you will need to restore the most recent backup of your company file to resolve the issue.
- For detailed instructions on restoring the backup data, follow step 2 Restore QuickBooks Company File from our article on QuickBooks error 61.
Step 2: Restore and Update the Company File from the Local Storage
- If the company file is stored in the cloud or some other computer in the network, then copy the file and paste it to the local storage of your computer.
- Now open the company file from the local storage of your system.
- If you are trying to restore the backup of QuickBooks data from your online storage or the network then, copy the backup file from such locations and paste it on your desktop.
- Now open QuickBooks and under the File tab select Open or Restore Company.
- Select Restore Backup and click Next.
- Browse the backup file from the desktop and click OK.
- Now follow the instructions to restore the backup file.
Troubleshooting for Multi-User Mode
Solution 1: Repair Damaged or Corrupt QuickBooks Company File
- Follow step 1 mentioned above, under the troubleshooting info for single-user mode.
Solution 2: Fix Network Connection Errors
- Open QuickBooks File Doctor & choose the option to repair the Network errors.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen to automatically reconfigure the network.
Solution 3: Reset Windows Firewall Configuration
- For detailed instructions on setting up third-party security software and Windows Firewall to allow QuickBooks to connect with the company file follow the Exclude QuickBooks from the Software Scan List step from our article on error 6094.