If you are fed up with the slow response of your QuickBooks then, you are choosing the best blog. For several years, QuickBooks has become a widely adopted financial accounting software product by small businesses. From retail stores to E-commerce, QuickBooks provide abundant features that make your task easier thus increasing your productivity.
However, in order to get the most out of your QuickBooks software, it is necessary that you follow certain guidelines. And these guidelines will help you to learn how to speed up your QuickBooks to improve the performance.
Why We Need to Optimize Your QuickBooks Performance
Optimize your Quickbooks performance for making your work easier and faster. So, you can get an error free fastest result in search. Like other software programs QuickBooks may encounter issues that could affect its performance to a certain degree, or over a period of time. If you are experiencing performance issues when using your QuickBooks accounting software. then you definitely need some useful tips and tricks that can help you revive your QuickBooks to function properly.
These tips can be useful in resolving different problems such application lagging, freezing/hang delayed startup, opening a company files take too long, the program enters into the unresponsive state, performance degrades in multi user mode etc.
How To Improve the Performance of your QuickBooks:-
- You can carry the tasks without being interrupted
- Increase work performance
- Saves you from hours of stress
- Helps you to manage time effectively
- Increase the overall speed of the program on your system
Issue which Affects your QuickBooks Performance
Let’s look at the various common issues that can affect the performance of QuickBooks.
- Failure in rebuilding data file
- Failure in updating data files
- Loss of connection to data file
- QuickBooks become sluggish in multiuser mode
- You cannot print file when connected to a new printer
- The client machine of QuickBooks cannot locate data file on the server
- You cannot find license information about your QuickBooks product
- Cannot copy or move Quickbooks data file
- Failure when attempting to reinstall Quickbooks
Why do Problems Occur in QuickBooks?
There are various types of issues that occur in QuickBooks performance. Some of the possible occurrences may include.
- Data file takes too long, so it does not open at all.
- The company file is affected as more users are signed in to the file.
- Performance issue on every employees system in the workplace or store
- There is a fluctuation in the performance of QuickBooks
- Company file usage is fastest in the morning but gradually slows down as the day progresses.
- Data used in multiple data files which indicates that the network is damaging your QuickBooks company data files.
How To Speed Up QuickBooks Performance
When problems occur in your QuickBooks accounting program, it does affect your productivity to a great deal. However there are different ways through which you can maintain the health of your QuickBooks program for a longer period of time.
Here we have provided solutions that can help you speed up your QuickBooks to improve performance without having to go through much effort.
Let’s have a look at the various solutions given in this blog that can teach you how to speed up your QuickBooks to improve performance.
Solution 1: Ensure your server or users computers has enough hardware to run QuickBooks
The first step that you should take when diagnosing issues with QuickBooks performance is to check if your system has enough hardware for QuickBooks to work properly. The QuickBooks accounting software has different system requirements that allow it to function without causing problems such as system requirements which are critical and needed to run QuickBooks.
Processor (CPU): 2.4 GHz or higher
RAM: 4 GB or above
Hard disk Space: 3 GB or more for storing data on server and user computers
Display: Screen resolution of 1280x 1024 or higher (include multiple monitors)
Network: High speed internet connection for (LAN or Wi-Fi) for server and user computers.
In case if your computer does not have sufficient hardware in order to run QuickBooks, then you should probably upgrade it and avoid further problems from occurring when carrying out activities on your QuickBooks program.
Solution 2: Ensure that you have a faster internet connection to work with data files on shared computers
Close the file via the UNC path instead of Mapped Drive:
Dissimilar kinds of network setup can have an effect on QuickBooks performance. If you typically access your company files through a mapped drive you can try approaching the file via the UNC path server name\QuickBook data.
- Discover the name of the server name by opening the computer such as Windows key+E and examine visually under the network location area.
- You will see dissimilar mapped drives such as X/Y/Z etc. When you see closely, you look at the server computer name denoted by two backslashes(//). This is the server computer name, ensure to write it down for the next steps. You will want to share the folder’s name which is usually the name right before the server name.
- Presently You have your server’s computer name and your shared folders name, then put them together like this: \\ServerName\sharedFolder Name As per the example above, the UNC path would be \\ServerName\QuickBooksdata.
- Presently that you have your server’s computer name and shared folder name, put them together like this:\\ServerName\ShareFolder Name and as per the example above, the UNC path would be \\ServerName\QB Data.
- Make sure to nete this path down, then open the QuickBooks, and select Open or Restore a company. Go to the company file and open it then click on the next option.
- Enter the UNC path you got from step 3 in the file name box and press enter in the enclosed company box, then, you will see a list of your company files. Select any one you wish to open by clicking open.
- If the speed is identical, continue with the troubleshooting.
Test network speed from a UNC path and locally from desktop
You can test your QuickBooks in a multi user field, to conclude if the network or the company file is creating the issue. If the QuickBooks performance issue occurs when more than one person signs in to the company file. then, go to solution 4. If the performance issue is created with a single user logged into the company file over the network , then, carry out the below steps to copy the file locally.
- Press the F2 key on your keyboard with QuickBooks open.
- Make a note where company file is located
- Close the QuickBooks and all the users record into the company file signed out.
- Click on the start menu and choose the computer.
- Browse to the file path in step 2.
- Once you explore your company file (.QBW) then, right click on it and select the copy.
- Now, right click in an empty space then, choose the paste
- Now you need to copy your file to the desktop location to open the file that you just copied. Test the performance while the file is local to see if it is faster than being on the network.
- If the file is sluggish as it was on the network, carry out to key 5 to test problems within the file itself
- If the file is faster while it is local than being on the network, carry out below the next solution.
Solution 3: Check your QuickBooks Company file for performance issues
When experiencing reduced performance while working with your QuickBooks company file both on the server and user computers, you can check your data to enhance your performance.
Check the speed of QuickBooks for all users at any time
If the company file is slow for everyone and all the time, you can inspect the data file for integrity problems.
- Go to the file menu and select the utilities then click on the verify data within your company file.
- Then, click ok if you want to start the verification process.
- If there are any integrity problems then QuickBooks will prompt you to turn in repair data.
- Check it why Quickbooks is slow.
- If you want to maximize your performance then, setting additional company and user specific preferences.
If QuickBooks is slow when you save transactions such as bills, invoices, etc. Then, perform below these steps.
- Select the list menu and choose the templates
- Try to use new templates for your transaction
- Click on the templates button in the bottom left then, choose new.
- Now, select the type of templates which you want to create and click ok
- Click on the manager templates button at the top left menu.
- Give your new template name and select ok.
Solution 4: Run Disk Cleanup and defragmenter tools to improve system performance
Your computer stores all kinds of files, some of which are not at all important to you. These are called junk files. You can remove such files while doing so also improves the performance of your computer.
If you are using a windows operating system, you can use its built in tools- you can easily find these tools from the windows start menu.
In order to boost your computer performance disk cleanup and disk defragmenter both tools can be of great help to you. They are easier to run and require no configuration. Follow these steps below to use the tools on your computer.
Steps to use Disk Cleanup
- Click on windows start, then,type disk and select disk cleanup.
- These tools will automatically start scanning for unwanted files when launched.
- When the scanning is complete, it will show you how much space will gain on your local hard drive.
- Select the checkbox for the item categories you want to delete. it is safe to select all categories.
- To use the disk defragmenter tool then, simply follow the steps given below:
Steps to use disk defragmenter tool
- Go to the windows start, then, type disk and select disk defragmenter.
- When it opens then, select C drive and click the analyze button to initiate the preliminary scan. This process may take a while if it is run for the first time.
- Once the analysis is complete then, show you the state of the selected drive.
- Now, click on the disk defragment button to carry out the process.
- Once defragmentation of the disk is complete then,you can close the tool.
Solution 5: Check if your Antivirus or third party firewall programs are interfering with QuickBooks
Sometimes, it is possible that your antivirus firewall program is interfering with QuickBooks. So, affecting the performance of QuickBooks and the overall system, you can disable antivirus temporarily and see QuickBooks performance has improved.
- If the slow QuickBooks performance is occurs due to the antivirus program installed on your computer then,perform the task given below:
- Add the QuickBooks to the expectation list in antivirus program
- Uninstall your antivirus program
There are many antivirus programs available, some are not resource hungry and do not impact your computer’s performance. So,you can search and compare online among the various antivirus programs that best suits your computer.