QuickBooks database server manager is a tool that helps you to share your company file among all users in a connected network, and it also allows you to make any QuickBooks database usable over the network easily. This is the topic for today, let’s start the blog, to know more deeply regarding this tool.
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
A user can easily share his/her company file with other computer over the network. It is necessary to have the database server manager tool when you set up a network, so that the users can access your company files easily. But remember that the toll will be needed if you if you want to run QuickBooks company file in multi-user access.
- What QuickBooks DataBase Server Manager Can Do
- Steps to Download, Install, Use & Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
What QuickBooks DataBase Server Manager Can Do
QuickBooks Database Server Manager can help track your local drive and make your company file usable for another user on QuickBooks hosting.
- You can create a network data file. So that all the company files are saved on your micro host workstation.
- Via this tool, you can have the option to work with different QuickBooks versions
- And for each version of QuickBooks desktop, you will need to install QuickBooks database server manages, and add a user to your desktop version. So that users can access the same company file at the same time.
- But users can access company files when current year database service is running in the background.
System Requirements to Use QBDSM
In order to use QBDSM, it is necessary to use a compatible system for it. So let’s see QuickBooks database server management requirements for your system.
- You should have a dual-core processor and above to work fine
- Supportable operating systems, All Windows OS and Linux OS
- Broadband or good speed internet
- Ram must have 1 GB and above
- And the system must have 2.5Gb free space
Steps to Download, Install, Use & Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Here in the below we have provided the all the procedure that you will need to use the tool, so read and follow the instruction carefully.
How to Download QuickBooks Database Server Manager
If you want to share your company file over network amongst all the users. Then you have to download QuickBooks desktop. Because QuickBooks database server manager is a part of QuickBooks desktop. And without this tool, you can’t share your company files amongst all the users. You can also use the database server manager tool through the QuickBooks tool hub.
Steps to Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
After downloading QuickBooks desktop you will need to install it. So that you can use the QuickBooks database server manager (QBDSM). Downloading QBDSMT is very important. You are using a different version of QuickBooks on host computers. So let’s see steps to download QuickBooks server manager.
- Open the file that you downloaded earlier from the given link.
- Then follow all the instructions that running on your computer screen.
- And get the product information of QuickBooks.
- Then you have to choose an option amongst Custom or Network Option. Choose one that fits for you and clicks on the Next button.
- Now you get two option to proceed download
- I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing it.
- I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop
- Choose ‘I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop’ and click on the Install button.
That’s it, you have done installation of QuickBooks server manager. Now you should know how to configure the database server manager.
Configure the Database Server Tool
If you want to use the default setting of database server manager, then you can skip it.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu from the windows.
- Now in the search space type ‘services’, and open it.
- Open the file ‘QuickBooksDBXX’ (here the XX is version number of your database server manager tool).
- Then find the ‘Service Status Section; from the ‘General’ tab.
- Click on the ‘Stop’ option if it’s started running.
- From the ‘Start Up type’ menu, select the ‘Automatic’ option, and from the ‘Logon’ tab, select the ‘Local System Account’ option.
- Choose the ‘Restart the service’ option for each menu from the ‘Recovery’ tab.
- Again go back to the ‘General’ tab, and restart the tool by clicking on the ‘Start’ option.
Set the Firewall Permission
- Check your firewall, and anti-virus permission.
- And make sure that, you have given permission to the database server manager to run on the server computer.
How to Use QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Use the QuickBooks database server manager properly by following the below methods:
Open QuickBooks Database Server Manager
After downloading and installing QBDSM, you must know how to open QuickBooks database server manager. So that you can use it to make the company file public protection. So that anyone can use the company files on their system.
- First, you need to go Start button from taskbar
- Then click on the Program option >and click on QuickBooks database server manager
- You will see the QBDSM window open.
Make Your QuickBooks Company File Available To your User
In a firm, it’s necessary to avail the company file to all users. So that work will complete fast. So in order to avail Company files to use. You must know the steps for it.
- First, open your QuickBooks and login to your company file
- Now you will see rock construction, click on Open
Now let’s see where your company file is located.
Procedure to Find Company File Location
If you want to make the company file available to your user. Then you need to press
F2, now you can see a Popup window where you will get the path of the company file. That is currently saved in your personal document folder.
- So first you need to save this company file as a backup, go to the File menu.
- And create a local backup
- Now click on Next then again Next button
- Then save it on the desktop and give a unique name.
- It will take a few seconds to save your company file as a backup.
- And this file you can copy and paste and share on the cloud easily
- Now you have to close the company file that is available in your private document folder.
- Now you have to restore it on a new location
- To do so you need to open the existing company file and select Restore and Backup copy
- Find that file that we just saved by clicking on the browse button, select the file, and click Open.
- Click on Next, now choose the location where you have to save.
- Select C drive>, users >public> public document> Intuit> QuickBooks> company files and save hare
- Via this process, your company file unzip here
- Now you can check your company file location by pressing F2,
How to Manage Database Server Manager in QuickBooks
In the database server manager tool, you can get many other tabs to run everything perfectly, such as, system tab, database server tab, dynamic ports, and etc
- System Tab:- This tab will help you to know that ‘where the database server manager is installed on your system?’.
- Database Server Tab:- the database server manager tab will show the real-time status of the tool like ‘Who is connected to it now?’, and etc.
How To Scan Your Folder
- To scan the folder using the QuickBooks database server manager, at first, you have to go to the ‘Start’ menu of the Window of the server.
- Then in the search bar type ‘Database’ and then click on the ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ option.
- After that click on the ‘Scan Folders’ tab. But here you have to remember that if the database server manager is in 2019 version then this process will share all the folders you have, you may need to set up your folder permission to give access to some specific users.
- Now go for the ’Browse’ option and select the folders which are included with the QuickBooks company file.
- Click on the ‘Ok’ option and at the last, click the ‘Start Scan’ option.
After the complete scanning process, you will be able to see the folder of ‘QuickBooks company files found’, and now you can able to access the files in these folders from other systems.
How to Monitored the Drives
- First of all, you have to scan the folders by following the above steps.
- Then go for the ‘Monitored Drives’ tab and checkmark on the box of ‘Monitored’.
- You will not need to rescan the folders if you want to change or move company files on the drive.
- Remember that if you want to monitor mapped drives, then you will not able to do it.
How to Restart QuickBooks Database Server Manager
This process will help you, whenever you found any error or problem to open the database server manager in your server. Here we have mentioned to methods to restart the tool.
The first restarting process is for those who have installed the database server with QuickBooks desktop. Let’s start the method:
- From the server system, open the QuickBooks Desktop and go to the ‘File’ menu.
- Select the ‘Open or Restore Company’ option from the ‘File’ menu, and go for the ‘Open a company file’ option.
- Now search and open the company file.
- Then click on the ‘Next’ option.
- After that select or mark on the ‘Open file in multi-user mode’ checkbox, and open it by clicking on the ‘Open’ option.
- Now login to the company file, and select the ‘Close Company/Log off’ option from the ‘File’ menu.
- Now the company file will be closed on the server.
- Then come to the ‘Start’ button of the windows, and type ‘Database’ in the search bar.
- ‘QuickBooks Database Server Manager’ option will appear, just click on it to open it again.
And the second method is for those who have only installed the database server manager.
- From the server windows, go for the ‘Start’ menu, and click on it.
- Now in the ‘Search programs and File’ bar type ‘Control Panel’ and select it.
- Then open the administrative tools, and go for the ‘Services’ option from the list.
- Now in the ‘QuickBooksDB_ _’ service right-click on it, and select the ‘Restart’ option from the list.
(Here _ _ is the version of database server manager)
How to Update QuickBooks Database Server Manager Tool
To update the QuickBooks database server manager you have to follow the below steps.
- Go to Intuit official site to update this tool
- You will get the latest software link on the website
- Download it and install it then restart your PC
Actually, there is no need to update the database server tool because the database server tool will be updated automatically when you will update QuickBooks Desktop.
So, this was the blog we hope now you will be able to manage (download, install, use, update) the QuickBooks database server manager easily. Still, if in case, you face any problem to manage the tool properly then, you can get our ProAdvisor support through the toll-free number +1-877-715-0222.