- August 2, 2019
- Posted by: Luna
- Category: QuickBooks
QuickBooks portable company file
- A portable file is a compact copy of your company data which will be transferred through email or any portable device.
- Letters, logos, images, and templates can’t be included in the portable company files
- The portable file doesn’t contain a dealing log file.
- It is an efficient way to fix the data problems because QuickBooks Desktop re-indexes the data when restoring a portable company file.
Before you go on the steps, Here some key points that require to remember:
- Your QuickBooks is updated to the latest release.
- You must be logged into your QuickBooks code with administrator rights to make and return a portable copy. If you share a portable copy to someone, they’ll be able to get access to all the sections of QuickBooks and that they will be able to add or change your transactions and change your admin.
- If you’re resolving data problems then you want to not write the initial file during the process of restoring the portable copy. you’ll rename the initial file before restoring the portable company file.
- If you’re sending your company file to your consider using an accountant’s copy.
Create or Restore a portable Company File
Create a portable company file
- Open QuickBooks and visit the File > Create Copy
- Click on a portable company file then click on Next
- Select the folder where you can save lots of the portable copy.
- Click on Save and then OK
Restore a portable company file
- Go to the File menu then choose Open or Restore Company
- Click on Restore a portable file then choose Next
- Click on a portable copy then select Open
- Select the location where you can restore the file then choose Next
- Click on Save
Loan Manager, FAM or QuickBooks Statement author data isn’t restored with the portable file.
You won’t be able to run the Loan manager, Fixed Asset Manager or QuickBooks Statement writer data if you restore the portable company on a unique computer where the company file isn’t saved. To work in such situations, you would like to copy the folders and files to this company file location.
Loan Manager: Copy the .lmr file, which is labeled as [CompanyName].lmr, to this location of your company file then restore it.
Fixed Asset Manager: Copy all the files from the folder specified below to this location of your company file then restore it.
QuickBooks 2018: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM17\clients
QuickBooks 2017: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM16\clients
QuickBooks 2016: C:\Users\Public\Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FAM15\clients
Unable to create and restore a portable company file
Solution 1: Copy the QuickBooks company file on the desktop
- Once your file is saved, open the folder
- Highlight the .qbm file and press CTRL + C to copy the file.
- Go to your desktop and press CTRL + V to paste the file
- Press and hold the CTRL key and double click on the QuickBooks icon to induce the No Company Open
- Try to create or restore the portable file
Solution 2: Attempt to work on a sample company file
- From the No Company Open window, click on Open a Sample File
- Create a portable copy through the sample company file and reserve it on your desktop
- Go to File and click on close Company/Logoff
- Try to restore the portable copy of the sample file that you simply saved on the desktop
- A way to fix QuickBooks Error 176109 – Invalid Product Number
- A Way to Enter employee’s Prior Payroll in QuickBooks Online
- How to Fix QuickBooks Unrecoverable error
- A Way to repair Reconciliation Discrepancies in Quickbooks