Last Updated on July 22, 2021 by Editorial Staff
In this article, we will show you the most updated way to convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop. So those who want to transfer all the data from QuickBooks Online to Desktop, this article is going to be very helpful for them. We also discuss some issues and their solutions that you may face, when converting data from one QuickBooks version to another one. So why don’t we go ahead? Let’s read the article;
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number +1-877-355-0435.
- Procedure to Convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Issues During the Converting of QuickBooks Online to Desktop
- The End Line
Procedure to Convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
Here in this procedure, we have to go through 5 steps to convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop. Remember that, follow all the steps carefully, otherwise, you may face the problem of data loss. So let’s start the process:
But before that, there are some points regarding this procedure, which should be kept in mind while you go for the exporting process.
- Now QuickBooks Online doesn’t support the Windows version of 7. So keep remembering that, the system you are using Windows 7 with the IE’s, 64-bit version.
- Log in to the system or to windows with the admin password, and the user ID. And must ensure that, you have full access and permission to use the system.
Step 1: Change the Security Settings in Internet Explorer (IE):
It is a very important step to convert from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop easily. So follow all the steps carefully:
- First of all, open your system, and right-click on the ‘Internet Explorer’ icon.
- After that, you can see an option of ‘Internet Explorer’, again right-click on it, and choose the ‘Run as Administrator’ option from the menu.
- Now go to the ‘Tools’ settings icon and then on the ‘Internet’ option.
- Click on the ‘Security’ option, and then on the ‘Trusted Sites’.
- After that choose the ‘Sites’ option, and enter *.intuit.com and *.qbo.intuit.com in the ‘Add this website to the zone field.
- Uncheck the ‘Require server verification (https:) for all sites in this zone’, if it is not unchecked yet.
- Then close the Trusted sites window, and uncheck the ‘Enable protected mode’.
- Now ‘Apply’ it, and click ‘Okay’, and at last, leave the Internet Explorer, and open it.
The setup of the Internet Explorer security settings method is completed now.
Step 2: Set Up the QuickBooks Desktop:
To export successfully, set up the QuickBooks desktop:
- Go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon, and right-click on it to select the ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- Visit the ‘File’ menu, and choose the ‘Close Company’ option.
- Now leave the QuickBooks desktop, and open it after complete all the steps.
Step 3: Prepare the QuickBooks Online Data for the Export
Follow the below steps to set up the QuickBooks Online Data for the export:
- To get started, we need to login into QuickBooks Online.
- You have to login as an admin and once you are logged in you are going to come up to your Url at the top here.
- You have to change out the last little piece where it says home page with this extra little snippet that is app/exportqbodatatoqbdt.
- Once you have done this press enter.
- This is going to pull up a new page which is going to give us the export capability.
- You will see some export steps.
- You have to click on “Get started” to get the process going.
- They will suggest two technical system requirements to export.
- You will see a brand new export tool that is a migration tool. You have to install it.
- You will also need to have a copy of the QuickBooks desktop ready to be able to open this up.
- You have to enter the path to download the QBXML file.
- Now you have to select the QuickBooks Online data you want to export. Most likely people are choosing “All financial data”. Remember, you can’t export the recurring or memorized transactions, Customer credit card information, etc.
- Click continue and then you have to put your name and email address so that they will tell you that they will email you once the data is ready. Depending on the size of the file it could take some time.
After completing all these things you will get an email to export. Now let’s proceed to the next process to convert the QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 4: Export the Data from QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop:
Start Exporting from QuickBooks Online:
- From the ‘Setting’ tab of QuickBooks Online’, click the ‘Export Data’ option.
- Now repeat the same steps of the above ‘Prepare the QuickBooks Online data for the Export’.
- Put the reason for exporting, and select ‘Continue’.
- Select the ‘Learn More’ option from the ‘Moving to QuickBooks Desktop’ Section.
- Then from the ‘Download company data’ section, and click the ‘Learn More’.
- Choose the ‘Get Started’ option.
- Then click on the ‘Continue to Download’ option from the Exporting from QuickBooks Online page.
Switch Over to QuickBooks Desktop:
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop, and ensure that, you are on the ‘No company open screen’ if you have a company open.
- After that, click on the ‘Close Company’ option from the ‘File’ menu.
- Then back to the QuickBooks Online, and choose the ‘Download’ option.
- Save the company file by selecting a location, in the ‘Save your company file window’.
- But do not choose the Desktop of your Windows.
- After the complete download, click on the ‘Convert Now’.
- Select a location to save the file, and give the name of the file in the save your company window. Choose a location on your local computer.
- After the complete export process, click on the ‘Finished’ option.
- The export process may take some time to finish, don’t do anything during the process.
If in Case, the Status Bar is Not Shown to Move :
In this case, check the QuickBooks Desktop, for an application certificate, follow the below steps to perform this:
- From your Desktop windows, or taskbar open the QuickBooks Desktop. The application certificate will appear automatically.
- Select the ‘Yes, prompted each time’ option, on the application certificate, then click on the ‘Continue’ option.
- Then click on the ‘Done’ option from the confirmation window.
Step 5: Check the Exported Information is Correct or Not:
- Use the loss and profit report to check the exported data.
- Run one report in the QuickBooks Online and compare it with the same report in QuickBooks Desktop.
If in case, the Report are Not Matched:
You can follow the below procedure, if the reports are not matched.
- From the QuickBooks Desktop, visit for the ‘File’ menu.
- Then select the ‘Close company’ option from the ‘File’ menu.
- And repeat the step to export the data from Online to Desktop again.
- Again check the exported information is correct or not.
Issues During the Converting of QuickBooks Online to Desktop
Sometimes users face problems while they convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop. And they can’t find the solution to this problem. Here we have some solutions for the problem, have a look:
Solution 1: Reboot Your System
This is the manual solution to fix the problem, follow the procedure, and try to solve the problem.
- First of all, reboot or restart your system.
- After that, again start the program.
- And check, the error is still occurring or not.
Solution 2: Stop All the Running Instances
This is also a manual procedure to fix the problem, you can stop all the running instances.
- Stop all the running programs, if you are running any program in your background while converting QuickBooks Online to Desktop.
- After that, start the conversion process, and check that the error is appearing or not. If it is still occurring then, go for the solution 3. It will be definitely work.
Solution 3: Activate QuickBooks Desktop
This is a genuine procedure, you can follow the below steps:
- Navigate for the Sample company, and choose one of the sample company file.
- Close the company, and back to the No Company Open Screen.
- Go for the menu bar, and then for the ‘Help’.
- Click on the ‘Activate QuickBooks Desktop’ option.
- After that, click the ‘Activate’ option.
- In the next step, close the ‘We just need to verify your identity to activate’ browser window.
- Now return to the no company open screen.
- Again start the conversion process. Hopefully it will work.
Solution 4: Accept a Security Certificate:
Some customers get an issue when they download the data process and see a “convert now” button. That time, the site will ask you to accept a security certificate prompt from the QuickBooks Desktop. Here is the solution:
- You have to close both IE and QB Desktop programs.
- You have to right-click the IE shortcut and open the “Run as Administrator”.
- Repeat this for QuickBooks Desktop.
- Now, you can download the backup file and convert it.
Solution 5: If you Can’t Access the “Export Data” Option:
Sometimes you can face issues in loading time. It has been seen that Some Customers couldn’t access the “Export Data” option. The settings dropdown sometimes does not load properly in Internet Explorer. Here we give the Solution:
- First, log in to your QuickBooks Online Account in Internet Explorer.
- Replace the “/app/homepage” with “/app/exportqbodatatoqbdt”
- Press enter.
- You can reach into the Export data page.
Make sure that, you are following the procedure to convert the QuickBooks Online to Desktop, not the process to convert QuickBooks Desktop to Online.
The End Line
We tried our best to put information in this blog, by which the QuickBooks users can convert QuickBooks Online to QuickBooks Desktop. Hope, you like this blog and now you are able to perform these steps ownself without any confusion. Still, if you have any problem or confusion regarding this article then, then you can get Accountwizy ProAdvisors support for the instant response.