How To Create A Journal Entry In QuickBooks Online?
- March 28, 2019
- Posted by: Diksha Jain
- Category: QuickBooks
Want to create a journal entry in QuickBooks Online? Maintaining books of accounts for your business is quick and easy with QuickBooks accounting software. The financial accounting tool provides a plethora of features that lets you accomplish tasks efficiently and with no additional expense.
Here, we are going to show you how you can create a journal entry in QuickBooks Online for your business and have your Balance Sheet tallied accurately. You can also share records of your journal entries or records of transactions with other users who are authorized. Have a look at QuickBooks journal entry example – employee/staff and professional accountant, who are given the privilege to access QuickBooks by you.
In order to get started with creating a journal entry in QuickBooks Online, read the following points:
- A journal entry always contains Debit and Credit columns.
- Assets and liabilities must be maintained in journal entries.
- Profit and loss should be maintained in the journal entries.
- Accounting figures in the Debit column must always tally with Credit column.
What is a journal entry in QuickBooks?
Before moving ahead, you must know what is a journal entry in QuickBooks? In terms of traditional accounting, a journal entry is normally a transaction consisting of at least two parts – a debit and a credit. QBO labels the transaction in the form of Journal in the register or account history. It happens when you record a transaction with a journal entry.
An accounting journal entry is actually a method used to save accounting transactions into the accounting records of a business. Either the accounting records are piled into the general ledger or record journal entries in a variety of sub-ledgers that are later rolled up into the general ledger.
Features of Creating Journal Entry In QuickBooks Online
Some notable features creating journal entry in QuickBooks Online include:
- Transfer money between Income and Expense accounts.
- Transfer money from an asset, liability or equity account to income or expense account.
- Allows traditional system of accounting, that is, entering debits and credits in a general journal entry or ledger account.
Thus, with these features, you can learn how to make adjusting journal entries in QuickBooks online.
Steps To Create A Journal Entry In QuickBooks Online
You can create a journal entry in QuickBooks Online by following the steps that are given below:
1. Open QuickBooks Online on your computer.
2. Select the Plus icon (+) on the Toolbar.
3. Under Other, select Journal Entry.
4. Enter the Transaction date in the Journal Date field.
5. You may opt to enter a journal number to help identify the transaction in reports or leave it blank.
6. Enter any account listed in the Chart of Accounts, on the first distribution line in the Accounts field.
Accounts: Refers to an account in the Chart of Accounts.
Journal Code (France only): Enter the journal code associated with the respective account. If necessary, you may add a new journal code. However, you have to use the same journal code that is associated with the transaction for both Debit and Credit accounts.
Debits or Credits: Generally, the first line is that of Debit. You can find transactions in the Recent transaction report. Also, verify whether Debit was changed according to your preferences or not, after saving the transaction.
Description (optional): You may enter the description to see details of the transaction on the report.
Name: Select customer, vendor/supplier or employee associated with the line, if any, in the Name field.
Note: If you are not sure which account receives the Debit and Credit side of a transaction, it is advised that you consult with your professional accountant for guidance.
7. Next, enter the transaction amount in the Debit and Credit columns, respectively.
8. You may opt to fill the Description field for the transaction or leave it blank. The description that you enter will appear on reports that display transaction details.
9. Make sure that entries on Debit and Credit columns must tally. If, however, the columns do not tally, continue to enter distribution lines until the sum of entries in the Debit column equals the sum of entries in the Credit column.
Note: When the Classes and Locations feature is turned on, additional fields will appear.
10. You may opt to select Make recurring to set a recurring journal entry schedule.
11. Click the Save button to save the changes you have made to create a journal entry in QuickBooks Online.
Note: You can easily delete or reverse a QuickBooks journal entry to correct a transaction or remove entries that were created by mistake.
Contact QuickBooks Support Number 1-877-715-0222
You can find more support on QuickBooks journal entry template at AccountWizy. Our Intuit certified QuickBooks experts can assist you with creating journal entries in QuickBooks Online quickly and without any hassle. To get connected with our QuickBooks experts, call at QuickBooks phone number 1-877-715-0222. You can find help for QuickBooks journal entry instantly at QuickBooks support center. Contact our QuickBooks experts and avail support 24/7 if you need help with QuickBooks general journal entry in QuickBooks Online.