Last Updated on March 5, 2021 by Editor Team
When an employee terminated from a company, we need to go through some criteria to end up the journey with the employee. It can be a challenging situation for the person, who is in charged to keep the record perfect. As usual, everybody releases their employee after paying the final paycheck. But in most cases, they forgot to change the employee payroll status, which can create a big problem to maintain the employee payroll report.
In QuickBooks, everything can be shut out easily. Today in this article, we will discuss, how to change employee payroll status in QuickBooks Online, and how to remove an employee’s profile from a payroll product.
Save Time & Effort
Get help from expert
Get your accounting work done by experienced accountants. Fix all your accounting software errors & problems. Dial our toll-free number +1-888-461-1179.
- Way to Change Employee Payroll Status in QuickBooks Online
- Step 1: Issue the Final Paycheck of the Terminated Employee
- Step 2: Change the Employee Payroll Status
- Procedure to Delete Employee’s Profile from Payroll Account
- Final Thoughts
This article is basically for the terminated employees but, you can also apply this procedure for different statuses, after paying the paycheck. To make you clear we have given a table below, by which you can easily get the idea of which status will be used at which time.
|Types of Status||When to Use|
|Terminated||Use this, when the employee is terminated|
|Paid Leave of Absence||When the employee is absent in the allowed holiday of office work.|
|Unpaid Leave of Absence||When the employee is absent during office work|
|Deceased||When an employee no longer living.|
|Not On Payroll||If the employee is performed his/her work temporarily.|
Way to Change Employee Payroll Status in QuickBooks Online
The way is very simple to change the payroll status of an employee in Online payroll account. Here we have given the procedure to complete it in just 2 steps. Go for the procedure, and change the payroll status.
Step 1: Issue the Final Paycheck of the Terminated Employee
In the first step, you need to issue the final paycheck of the terminated employee. Before that, verify created the final paycheck of the employee. If you are not created the final paycheck yet then, create the final paycheck of the employee. After that, you can change the payroll status.
Step 2: Change the Employee Payroll Status
You have issued the final paycheck of your employee, now you can change the employee payroll status according to your online payroll account.
How to Change Employee Status in QuickBooks Online Payroll
In QuickBooks Online payroll, you can easily change the employee status through the below procedure:
- First, you need to access QuickBooks Online Payroll as an admin.
- Then, visit for the ‘Workers’ or ‘Payroll’ menu.
- Select the ‘Employees’ tab from the ‘Workers’ or ‘Payroll’ tab.
- After that, choose the employee name, that you want to change the payroll status.
- If in case, the employee is not on the employee list then, visit the ‘Actie Employees’ drop-down menu, and select the ‘All Employees’ option.
- Now edit the ‘Employment’.
- Click on the ‘Status’ dropdown menu, and choose the appropriate status for the employee.
- At last, click the ‘Done’ option.
How to Change Employee Status in QuickBooks Desktop payroll
If you are doing all of your payroll activities in QuickBooks Desktop payroll the, go through this procedure to change the employee payroll status.
- Visit for the ‘Employees’ menu, and select the ‘Employee Center’ option.
- Search for the employee profile, and open it.
- Now, click on the ‘Employee Info’ option, and do changes in payroll status according to your need.
- Fill out the other important field.
- If you are choosing the ‘Termination’ tab for the employee, and also want to remove the employee from the employee list then, then click on the ‘Employee is Inactive’ box.
- At last, click the ‘Ok’ option.
How to Change Employee Status in Intuit Online Payroll
Follow the procedure, if you are using the Intuit Online Payroll:
- Go for the ‘Employees’ tab, and select the employee name.
- If in case, the employee is not on the list then, Click on the ‘Show’ drop-down menu, and select the ‘‘All Employees’ option.
- Click on the ‘Edit’ icon beside the ‘Employment’ section.
- Click on the ‘Status’ drop-down, and select the appropriate payroll status for the employee.
- Lastly, click the ‘Ok’ option.
Procedure to Delete Employee’s Profile from Payroll Account
Here we have given the procedure for the case, if in case, you haven’t create paychecks for the employee, and want to remove the employee from the payroll product then, you can delete the employee profile from the payroll account. Select your payroll account, and follow the appropriate procedure to delete the employee’s profile.
How to Delete Employee’s Profile From QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Select the ‘Employees’ tab from the ‘Payroll’ menu.
- After that, click on the ‘Employee’s name, and select the ‘Edit Employees’ option.
- Choose the ‘Delete Employee’ option, and confirm the delete process by selecting the ‘Yes’ option.
How to Delete Employee’s Profile From QuickBooks Desktop Payroll
- Select the ‘Employee Center’ option from the ‘Employees’ tab.
- After that, select the employee name, and right-click on it.
- And delete the employee.
- Confirm it by clicking the ‘Ok’ option.
How to Delete Employee’s Profile From Intuit Online Payroll
Delete employee’s profile from Intuit Online Payroll by the below-given procedure:
- Select the employee’s name from the ‘Employees’ tab.
- Make it active, if it is not showing in the active employee list.
- After that, click the ‘Delete this Employee’ option.
- And confirm it, by clicking the ‘Delete’ option.
So this was the article. We hope, we have done successfully to show you the right track to change employee payroll status in QuickBooks Online. Further, if you are seeking help then, you can get our Intuit Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor for the instant troubleshooting solution. He/She can also guide you through the QuickBooks remote access live to make you more comfortable to follow the procedures.