Last Updated on November 20, 2019 by Editor Team
Whether you are using an operating system or any software product on your desktop, laptop or mobile device, you will always want to stay up-to-date with the software product and the technology behind it in order to make your daily tasks much easier and efficient. Similarly, when you are using QuickBooks accounting software, it is essential that you keep the product updated with the latest releases, as these bring new features, improvements, bug fixes and security patches that allow your QBO Intuit to function properly across devices and operating system platforms.
However, many people often confuse themselves with updates and upgrades. We will help you understand these terms. In QuickBooks support, an update can be carried out both automatically (by the software itself with the help of internet connection) and manually (the user executes the software update). The update is required to introduce new features and functionality to the current version or edition of your QuickBooks software product, while also being able to fix known issues or bugs. On the other hand, when you upgrade QuickBooks, this means that you are migrating from an older version to the latest one. For instance, migrating from QuickBooks 2018 to 2019 means that you have upgraded to the latest version. Similarly, when you migrate from QuickBooks Online Support to a higher edition such as QuickBooks Pro or QuickBooks Premier, this also means that you have upgraded.
If you want to update your QuickBooks accounting software, this guide will take you through some easy steps to get the required job done within minutes. You may also get in touch with us directly and seek assistance from our Intuit certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor.
QuickBooks Desktop Update To The Latest Release
There are two ways you can update your QuickBooks Desktop App software edition to the latest release. Please keep in mind that updating QuickBooks Desktop App with the latest releases does not affect your information and data. Thus, there is nothing to worry about.
You can update QuickBooks to the latest release by either doing it automatically or if you are tech savvy, you can perform the task manually. Generally, the automatic update does everything for you and even looks for new releases from time to time, and updates automatically whenever there is a new release available for your QuickBooks Desktop app edition. However, for this to work, you must ensure that the Automatic Update option is turned on.
If you turn off the Automatic Update feature in QuickBooks Desktop App, it is advised that you manually check for latest update releases at least once every month. Doing so will ensure that your QuickBooks Desktop accounting software is up-to-date.
How to know if you have the QuickBooks Desktop Update?
You can easily find out if you already have the latest release installed on your QuickBooks Desktop accounting software edition. Here’s how to do it:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop App and press the F2 key located on the keyboard. Alternatively, you can also press Ctrl + 1 on your keyboard to check if you have the latest release for your QuickBooks Desktop accounting tool.
- The Product Information window will open on your screen that will show several other information.
- Verify the current version and release information that is given at the top in Product.
Manually Download File For QuickBooks Desktop Update
Method 1: Download release file manually from the Internet
If you do not want to use an automatic update but want to go for manually checking and downloading latest release updates for your QuickBooks Desktop, then the following simple steps will help you achieve the task.
- Click on the Downloads & Updates link to visit the page directly.
- From the Select Product drop-down list, select QuickBooks Desktop.
- Next, from the Select Version drop-down list, select the appropriate version or year for your QuickBooks Desktop product.
- Select Search.
- Select the Get the latest updates option, then Save/Save File to download the update.
- When the download completes, double-click the downloaded file to install the latest release update for your QuickBooks Desktop.
You may be prompted to restart your Windows machine after successfully installing the latest release update for your QuickBooks Desktop accounting software product. Restart your computer for the changes to take effect.
To manually install release updates for QuickBooks Desktop App across your network:
- Access the installation file on your computer from another computer via a shared network, or
- Copy the installation file to a flash drive, then execute it directly on another computer that has QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Method 2: From within QuickBooks Desktop
- Open QuickBooks Desktop. Ensure that you have company files closed.
- Go to the File menu and select Close Company/Logoff (in case, if you have opened multiple company files in QuickBooks Desktop, you will have to repeat this for every company file opened).
- Go back to the File menu again and select Exit.
- Right-click on the shortcut icon for QuickBooks Desktop which is placed on your desktop screen and select Run as administrator (if you are using Windows computer).
- While on the No Company Open screen, go to the Help menu and select Update QuickBooks.
- Go to the Options tab, select Mark All and click Save.
- Click the Get Updates button.
- When Update Complete dialogue prompt appears on your screen, close QuickBooks Desktop.
- Re-open QuickBooks Desktop. If you get the message to install the update, click Yes.
- Restart your computer when the installation is completed successfully.
Method 3: Ultra Light Patch (ULIP)
The last method is using Ultra Light Patch (ULIP), which is a feature in QuickBooks Desktop App where minor critical fixes can be delivered without the need for an actual release patch. You may also call this a ‘hotfix’ for your QuickBooks Desktop accounting software product. The patch release process will continue as is, that is, R releases such as 2018 R5 and so on.
In order to apply critical fixes or Ultra Light patch (ULIP) on your QuickBooks Desktop, refer to Method 2 given above for the procedure. Also, you must ensure that the Critical Fixes option is selected before you start downloading the updates.